Appointed interim Director of Corporate Property for London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
The Council’s Property Department was in disarray, having been managed by a series of interim appointees who had been unable to effect the changes required. Staff morale was low and clear direction was missing. Moreover the Authority was failing in a number of its statutory duties including ensuring that its premises were safe for occupants and visitors.
The focus of both members and the leader of the Council was intense, since there was a real risk to life in some premises and, the possibility of prosecution was likely.
The primary task of the assignment was to:
- Improve the morale of staff
- Establish clear processes and protocols for all activity
- Establish an accurate database of Council owned property; its condition; value and short, medium and long-cycle maintenance liabilities
- Establish a proper asset register
- Initiate a project to establish an integrated electronic property asset management system
- Apply risk management principles to the review of back-log property maintenance and determine a five-year recovery plan
- Work with Directors and external consultants in the preparation of a formal Asset Management Plan